Key Dates in Linwood Cemetery’s History
We are often asked about key dates in the history of Linwood Cemetery. As we find out more about the cemetery we will add more. Click on the dates to be linked to the source of the information in Papers Past.
Burial of Sarah Anne FREEMAN (B2P1).
All buildings in cemetery (Sexton’s House and Kiosk) finished.
Linwood Cemetery reported as ‘being ready’.
18th May 1885
Small Pox Hospital is built ‘a few hundred yards more distant from the city than is the new general cemetery……” (Star 18/05/1885) It was never used and burned down in 1887….
First rail of the tramway laid by Mayor HULBERT (B3P1)
Tram line into cemetery formally opened.
The Corporation Tramway is opened to the public.
1888 – 1st September, 24th October, 29th December
Earthquakes in City Centre. Cathedral spire is damaged.
© The Friends of Linwood Cemetery Charitable Trust